Published: Fri, October 13, 2017
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

Man wanted for Charlottesville assault turns himself in

Man wanted for Charlottesville assault turns himself in

We recently reported that DeAndre Harris - the black man who was brutally attacked at a Charlottesville white supremacist rally - had a warrant out for his arrest and that he had planned to turn himself in.

Warrants were issued for the arrest of Deandre Harris earlier this week on a charge of unlawful wounding. The men, who are charged with malicious wounding, saw their cases postponed until December.

Two men were charged with malicious wounding in September in the attack against Harris. His head wound is pictured left.

Video of the rally shows DeAndre Harris, 20, being beaten by several men outside a parking garage at the rally.

Video of the incident appears to show a scuffle between the two in which Mr Harris swings a torch at a man identified by United States media as Mr Crews, who lunges at him with the pole of a Confederate flag. Harris' attorney maintains that Harris did nothing wrong, and that there is no probable cause to charge his client.

The victim went to the magistrate's office, presented the facts of what occurred and attempted to obtain the warrant.

The magistrate only needs probable cause based on the alleged victim's testimony to grant an arrest warrant.

According to WVIR, three men are accused of attacking Harris inside a parking garage on August 12.

Jeff Fogel, who is running to become Charlottesville's Commonwealth Attorney, said that Charlottesville police have "a lot to explain", and has complained that police haven't been as quick to punish violent alt-right protesters as they have Harris.

Daniel Borden, 18, of OH, and Alex Michael Ramos, 33, of Georgia, were also charged with malicious wounding last month in connection with the attack.

Harris works for the Charlottesville educational system and has no criminal history, Merritt said.

A counter-protester, Heather Heyer, 32, was killed when a driver ploughed a auto into a crowd.

Meanwhile, the city of Charlottesville and a group of local business owners filed a lawsuit Thursday that they hope will prevent another event like the white supremacist rally two months ago.

The statue has since been covered up while a legal challenge to its removal is under way.

Like this: