Published: Tue, November 14, 2017
Sport | By Wilson Duncan

Newcastle United takeover to be confirmed this week

Newcastle United takeover to be confirmed this week

Newcastle United's potential new owners could be set to lay down a marker of intent during the January transfer window, with moves for Everton's Ross Barkley, Manchester United's Luke Shaw and West Ham United's Andy Carroll all being prepared, according to the Daily Star.

Southampton are also apparently interested in the Spanish striker.

PCP is backed by £28billion in funds from the Middle East and China and is looking to move into the riches of the top flight in England.

Newcastle have made a positive start to life back in the Premier League and now sit 11th in the standings but Benitez has made it very clear that he wants reinforcements at St James' Park.


It's said that the World Cup victor has admires in the United States and China, but prefers one last stint in the Premier League before returning to Atletico Madrid, where he intends to retire. He went onto play over 200 games for them in his first spell there, scoring 82 goals.

The midfielder says he was "lucky" to work with Rafa Benitez in the past and together in their brief time at Chelsea together, the pair won the Europa League and qualified for the Champions League after Rafa came in during the 2012/13 season.

Torres spent four seasons with Liverpool and became a real fans' favourite.

Both Newcastle and Southampton are desperately looking to add a new striker to their ranks in January, having scored just 19 Premier League goals between them so far after playing 11 games each. Before that happens though, he wants to play as much as he can for the remainder of this season, something that isn't likely at Atletico. Newcastle would be an ideal destination for Torres and would be a very exciting signing for their fans if Benitez can pull it off.

Like this: