Published: Sat, December 16, 2017
Entertaiment | By Paul Elliott

Bad Santa director claims Weinsteins blacklisted Mira Sorvino from movie

Bad Santa director claims Weinsteins blacklisted Mira Sorvino from movie

The 56-year-old filmmaker claimed earlier this week that the disgraced producer had informed him the two actresses - who are amongst those who allege that Weinstein sexually harassed them - were "difficult to work with" and shouldn't be hired for the three fantasy movies, which were released in the early 2000s.

It began with Sorvino commenting on Peter Jackson saying people at Miramax had talked him out of using the her and Ashley Judd in his "Lord of the Rings" movies.

"To not continue and star in their movies much past that doesn't make sense".

"I was interested in casting Mira Sorvino in BAD SANTA, but every time I mentioned her over the phone to the Weinsteins, I'd hear a CLICK", Zwigoff wrote.

"My experience, when Miramax controlled the "Lord of the Rings", was of Weinstein and his brother behaving like second-rate Mafia bullies", said Jackson. At the time, we had no reason to question what these guys were telling us - but in hindsight, I realise that this was very likely the Miramax smear campaign in full swing.

Weinstein said he had nothing to do with the casting of "Lord of the Rings".

Jackson said, "I now suspect we were fed false information about both of these talented women - and as a direct result their names were removed from our casting list". Amongst the many names raised, Fran [Walsh] and I expressed our enthusiasm for Ashley Judd and Mira Sorvino. There it is, confirmation that Harvey Weinstein derailed my career, something I suspected but was unsure. Both actresses have claimed their careers were ruined by Weinstein after they spurned his unwanted sexual advances.


Now, Peter Jackson fills in the gaps.

"I was not offered any movie roles past 1996".

Jackson and wife Fran Walsh developed the films with Weinstein's Miramax in the 1990s but production was eventually moved to New Line Cinema ahead of their launch in 2001.

In a following statement, Jackson said aspects of Harvey's denial were "insincere".

Jackson says it has been 20 years since he has interacted with Harvey Weinstein.

He's also denied accusations of sexual harassment by more than 50 women, including Judd and Sorvino. The movie was first expected to be produced by Miramax but Jackson took his film to New Line. However, after Peter's comments, a representative for Weinstein claimed the allegations were false, as all casting was done in co-ordination with New Line, after Miramax dropped out of the production. "After this meeting we were told by Miramax to steer clear of both Ashley and Mira, because they claimed to have had "bad experiences" with these particular actresses in the past". That's a deflection from the truth.

"If we were unwitting accomplices in harming their careers, Fran and I unreservedly apologise to both Ashley and Mira."

Like this: