Published: Fri, December 08, 2017
Medicine | By Brett Sutton

Boko Haram war: Army removes commander

Boko Haram war: Army removes commander

Gen. Attahiru Ibrahim as the Theatre Commander of the Operation Lafiya Dole, the code name for Nigeria's military special operation against the Boko Haram insurgent group in North East Nigeria.

Operation Lafiya Dole is at the head of the war against the Boko Haram insurgency.

In May, he took over the theatre command from Lucky Irabor who is now coordinating the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF).

The dead included soldiers and an oil exploration team. Since then, suicide bombings and attacks on military formations have been on the rise.

Borno State Governor Ibrahim Shettima said the government's long-term plan is to corral civilians in fortified garrison towns - effectively ceding the countryside to Boko Haram.


About 45 persons were also killed and 47 critically injured in November after a suicide bombers detonated their explosives in a mosque in Yola, Adamawa State.

About two weeks ago, the Chief of Defence Staff, Gabriel Olonisakin, paid a sudden visit to the Command and Control Centre in Maiduguri. Gen. Rogers Nicholas has been named as his replacement.

The former theatre commander, who was deployed to Army Headquarters, is to now serve as deputy Chief of Policy and Planning.

Nigeria has replaced the officer leading troops fighting Boko Haram, the Army said on Thursday, after a recent surge in deadly attacks in the country's remote northeast.

Like this: