Published: Fri, December 08, 2017
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

Delhi govt finds Max Hospital guilty in infant death case

Delhi govt finds Max Hospital guilty in infant death case

Delhi's police in their statement said that it had transferred the case to its crime unit.

According to the baby's father, identified only as Ashish, doctors told him that his wife, Varsha, would need an operation for bleeding, and demanded more money to improve the chances of keeping Varsha and the baby boy alive.

"The preliminary report has found them guilty in certain aspects and the final report is expected in next two days".

The babies were placed in plastic bags and the family was driving to the crematorium when they saw movement.

The hospital has reportedly sacked the two doctors who mistakenly declared the baby dead.

Speaking with CNN after the baby's death on Wednesday, Malik said the family was devastated.


The doctors at the privately run Max Hospital had pronounced the baby dead hours after his twin, who was stillborn on 30 November, at 22 weeks. Gupta said that the boy had died from multiple organ dysfunction. Meanwhile, parents and members of Delhi Saansi Samaj are protesting outside Max Hospital demanding strict actions to be taken in this regard. While we understand that survival in extreme preterm births is rare, it is always painful for the parents and family.

"I will not take my son's body until the two doctors are arrested", Kumar told PTI.

Dr. Sandeep Gupta, who was treating the baby at the Delhi New Born Center said "we knew from the beginning that he may not survive but we were trying our best".

"We wish to clarify that this action should not presuppose finding of any lapse by the expert group and should not be construed in any way to be anything other than an expression of our continued commitment to providing quality healthcare", the statement from Max Healthcare said. This was against the prescribed norms for dealing with newborns.

Jain had already said the hospital's licence could be cancelled if a probe found it guilty of medical negligence.

Max Healthcare on December 4 had said that it had made a decision to terminate the services of two doctors allegedly involved in the case.

Like this: