Published: Wed, December 06, 2017
Finance | By Loren Pratt

Fugitive Kentucky attorney to be returned to U.S. after Honduras arrest

Fugitive Kentucky attorney to be returned to U.S. after Honduras arrest

The fraud reached into the hundreds of millions of dollars, mostly affecting his clients in impoverished parts of Kentucky and West Virginia, who then had to fight to try to keep their disability checks.

Officials in Honduras say a fugitive Kentucky lawyer who disappeared six months ago after pleading guilty to massive Social Security fraud is on his way back to the United States.

The arrest was first reported Monday night by Honduran news outlet El Heraldo, which included the picture of Conn surrounded by armed and masked members of the Technical Agency for Criminal Investigation in the northern Honduran city of La Ceiba.

At a news conference earlier Tuesday announcing the arrest, Amy Hess, the Special Agent in Charge of Louisville's FBI Field Office, reminded reporters of her earlier vow to work with local, state, federal and worldwide investigators to bring Conn back to the Bluegrass State.

Honduran reporters said agents from its national police agency had been following him for several weeks.

Far from the mild temperatures of Central America where he was captured, Conn stepped off a federally owned plane just after 7 p.m. Tuesday into a frigid Lexington night and bitter cold reality: freedom was no longer his. "He let people like my husband have trust in him, and he let that down".

Hess said in July that Conn was spotted at a gas station and a Walmart in New Mexico.

A $20,000 reward was offered for information leading to Conn's arrest.

In October a federal grand jury charged one of his employees, Curtis Lee Wyatt, with conspiring to help Conn.

Conn was a flamboyant attorney known for his billboards and TV ads across Kentucky.

Conn is set to be brought back to the U.S. Tuesday.

Conn had been under investigation for years.

Conn was on home confinement when he allegedly cut off his monitor and fled. "I never thought they would catch him". When he pleaded guilty in March, Justice Department prosecutors recommended his continued release on those terms, pending his sentencing in July, and U.S. District Judge Danny Reeves accepted a plea bargain in which that recommendation was made.

Like this: