Published: Sat, December 16, 2017
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

Orillia Pilot Among Those Killed in Helicopter Crash

Orillia Pilot Among Those Killed in Helicopter Crash

Four Hydro One employees were killed Thursday in a helicopter crash in eastern Ontario, police and the utility reported.

Meantime, the Transportation Safety Board said it has recovered the Global Positioning System unit from the helicopter, which will assist in the investigation.

Emergency services first responded to a helicopter crash northeast of Tweed and south of Flinton, near Upper Flinton Road, at approximately noon on Thursday, acting Sgt. Tina Hunt of the OPP said. None of the employees of Hydro One on Board the helicopter Aerospatiale AS350-B2 did not survive.

In a statement released on Saturday, Hydro One says 39-year-old James Baragar has been with the company since May of 2009.

Jeff, a Power Line Technician on the construction crew and resident of Bath, has been with the Hydro One family since August 2013.

Jansen's mother, Brenda Jansen, said her son - a line technician from Long Sault, Ont. - was an outdoorsy person and an avid guitar player.

Kyle, a resident of Inverary, was a Power Line Technician who has been with Hydro One since September 2014.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with their families at this hard time".

"It is a time of emotion and shock for all of us at the company", Schmidt said, adding that there was no timeline for when the utility's helicopter fleet would go back to work.

The company held candlelight vigils at its offices across the province yesterday.

"We're going to miss him, he's going to be really missed".

Energy Minister Glenn Thibeault said the government's "thoughts are with the employees affected, and our honest condolences to the families of those lost in the crash". "My deepest condolences to the loved ones of those killed in the helicopter crash near Tweed".

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada is investigating.

Investigators say during the landing, while flying at low-level, the helicopter departed from its controlled flight, and crashed in the woods.

Skies were clear at the time of the crash and it was not windy. While there was no cockpit voice recorder on board, officials have recovered a Global Positioning System recorder, which could provide clues to investigators into what happened.

"I then said to myself, "They're not coming out of this".

Like this: