Published: Tue, April 17, 2018
Sport | By Wilson Duncan

Manchester City avoid transfer ban after winning Benjamin Garre case

Manchester City avoid transfer ban after winning Benjamin Garre case

The Court of Arbitration for Sport says Federation Internationale de Football Association was right to let Manchester City sign teenager Benjamin Garre from Argentine club Velez Sarsfield.

Velez argued that City had not abided by Federation Internationale de Football Association rules on worldwide transfers when they signed Garre, then 16, and that the world governing body's regulations only allow players under the age of 18 to move between clubs in different countries if both are in the European Union. They accused City of acting unethically by tapping up Garré when he was 15 and then breaking rules by signing him when he was 16.

Federation Internationale de Football Association cleared City of any wrongdoing but the Argentine club took their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

City thought they were in the right because Garre holds an Italian passport and the age threshold for European Union citizens is 16.

While Cas was unavailable to comment it is understood City have already been informed that the court has upheld Fifa's original ruling.

It is why a court case that was heard in July a year ago, with a verdict due by the end of September, has been delayed.

Federation Internationale de Football Association ruled the deal for Garre was above board and hadn't broken the rules, despite allegations from Velez that he was approached before turning 16.


BC-SOC-CAS-FIFA-Man City, 128Sports court sides with Man City in transfer dispute caseEds: APNewsNow.

Earlier in the case, Federation Internationale de Football Association said there was "no element justifying" disciplinary proceedings against City.

City insist that they acted within the rules but if found guilty it could throw Pep Guardiola's summer transfer plans into disarray.

That said, they would have the right to a technical appeal that could further delay the process and allow Guardiola to stockpile players this summer.

Garre, 17, is yet to make his City debut and the forward has been playing for their under-23 team, scoring his first goal against Rotherham last August.

The decision means City have avoided the kind of ban handed out to Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid in recent seasons.

Like this: