Published: Sat, April 14, 2018
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

Over 1000 children abducted by Nigeria's Boko Haram since 2013

Over 1000 children abducted by Nigeria's Boko Haram since 2013

"As long as I remain the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria the Chibok girls will NEVER be forgotten".

A classroom sits deserted at the Government Girls Technical College at Dapchi town in northern Nigeria after Boko Haram Islamists kidnapped 110 school girls, February 28, 2018.

Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday, April 13, reassured the parents of the school girls that were abducted from Government Girls Secondary School Chibok, Borno State, that "their daughters will never be forgotten".

Boko Haram remains a charged issue politically.

In a statement released on the eve of the April 14, fourth anniversary of the kidnap of over 200 schoolgirls in Chibok, Borno State, the United Nations agency also said more than 1,000 children had been abducted and 1,400 schools destroyed by the terrorists in the region since 2013.

All of the girls have now been reunited with their families after they were freed by the terror group last month.


The UNICEF in a statement on Thursday by its representative in Nigeria, Mohammed Fall, disclosed that 2,295 teachers had been killed and more than 1,400 schools destroyed in nine years by the insurgents, noting that most of the schools had not been re-opened. It restated its calls for the release of all hostages in Boko Haram custody.

"They are consistently targeted and exposed to brutal violence in their homes, schools and public places". Five reportedly died, while one girl - the only Christian in the group - is still being held. Though the Nigerian President Mohammed Bukhari ran a successful campaign for eliminating Boko Haram and succeeded in freeing a large region, the terrorist organisation is still making deadly attacks on the military and citizens.

Mr Ojigho stated this in commemoration of the fourth anniversary of the abducted Chibok school girls who were taken away by the Boko Haram in Borno.

In a statement ahead of Saturday's four-year anniversary of the kidnapping of 276 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok, UNICEF said the militants have upped the attacks on children with devastating effects on their education and future.

"These repeated attacks against children in schools are unconscionable", Fall said.

Like this: