Published: Thu, May 17, 2018
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

A Florida man died from the explosion of electronic cigarettes

A Florida man died from the explosion of electronic cigarettes

Tallmadge WakemanD'Elia, from St Petersburg, Florida, died in a fire at his home which left him with 80 percent burns, according to an autopsy report seen by the Tampa Bay Times.

He confirmed that the cause of the accidental death was a "projectile wound to the head", and that D'Elia had suffered burns on about 80 per cent of his body.

Former CNBC producer Tallmadge Wakeman D'Elia, 38, passed away earlier this month on May 5 in St. Petersburg, FL after his vape pen/e-cigarette exploded, igniting a fire in his bedroom. According to a Facebook page for the business, the manufacturer is located in Cebu City in the Philippines.

For example, in 2015, an e-cigarette exploded in a man's face in Naples, Florida, burning his face, chest, hands and lungs. He suffered third-degree burns. "Defective e-cigarette batteries have caused fires and explosions, some of which have resulted in serious injuries", states the site. Until the vaping industry takes responsibility for its products, these incidents will continue to occur, and it is likely there will be more deaths.

Mr D'Elia's body was found in the bedroom. According to FEMA, this is the first e-cigarette death in the US.

In the aftermath of the Florida tragedy, there may finally be some regulations placed around the batteries of e-cigarettes.

A report by the US Fire Administration said more than 195 electronic cigarettes exploded or caught fire between 2009 and 2016.

He added that the e-cigarettes used by most people who vape have more built-in safety features.

Keep the vape pen out of direct sunlight.

Claiming its devices do not explode, a rep for the maker tells the outlet he suspects something went wrong with the atomizer or battery, noting copycat batteries are an issue.

While the exact circumstances surrounding the explosion are unknown, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises against carrying e-cig batteries loose in pockets to avoid coming in contact with coins, keys or metal objects.

Like this: