Published: Tue, May 15, 2018
Sport | By Wilson Duncan

Delhi Police names Shashi Tharoor as accused in Sunanda's death

Delhi Police names Shashi Tharoor as accused in Sunanda's death

Delhi Police have filed a chargesheet against Congress leader Shashi Tharoor on charges of abetment of suicide in the death of his wife Sunanda Pushkar.

Tharoor, according to sources, has been charged under Sections 306 and 498A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) - pertaining to abetment to suicide and cruelty to wife which entails a jail term that may extend to 10 years.

The Delhi Police today named Congress leader Shashi Tharoor as a suspect in his wife Sunanda Pushkar's suicide in a 3,000-page chargesheet.

Sunanda Pushkar was found dead in a suite in The Leela Hotel in Chanakyapuri on January 17, 2014.

A person familiar with the developments said the chargesheet filed before metropolitan magistrate Dharmender Singh ruled out murder as a cause of death and instead stated that Pushkar had committed suicide. She had injury marks on her hands and cheeks.

Mystery shrouded Sunanda's death from the night she was found dead.

After all the possible and material evidence collected and verified, it was felt that Tharoor's custodial interrogation would be required in the case, the chargesheet, which contains several medical reports, said.

Following this, the autopsy report suggested that Pushkar may have died after overdosing on drugs. The SIT was formed one year after the FIR was registered in the case.

February 2015: Her viscera samples were sent to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) lab in Washington. A former foreign and human resource development minister in India's previous Congress party-led government, Tharoor also nearly became United Nations secretary general in 2006, narrowly losing to South Korea's Ban Ki-moon. He said he intended "to contest it vigorously". The police have mentioned Sunanda's husband, Sashi Tharoor's name in the chargesheet. The court dismissed his petition.

Swamy also told the court that there were constant attempts to block the investigations and an FIR was registered after nearly a year and nothing had happened since.

Like this: