Published: Sat, May 12, 2018
Medicine | By Brett Sutton

Deputies: Florida man strips naked at airport, makes bomb threat

Deputies: Florida man strips naked at airport, makes bomb threat

Sheriff Mike Chitwood said the man, identified as John Greenwood, entered the airport at around 6 a.m. clothed and with a bag.

A man was subdued with a stun gun and arrested after officials say he walked into Daytona International Airport and later claimed he had a bomb.

John Greenwood, 25, was taken to a hospital for a mental evaluation. The sheriff says he had taken drugs the night before and was known to local law enforcement.

"No one missed their flights", he said about airport's travelers, but added that they might have missed their connecting flights at other airports. All passengers were asked to wait outside the airport for about 90 minutes, after which they were checked in again and allowed to board their flights. Download the 10News app now.

During his arrest last September, police deployed a Taser four times in an effort to subdue Greenwood, who continued to "throw punches and kick his feet" while officers attempted to handcuff him, the report states.

After Greenwood was taken into custody, he began shouting, '"We've got to get out of here". The bomb is going to go off.

Reportedly, at least two flights, one to Charlotte, North Carolina and another to Atlanta, Georgia, were delayed as a result of the incident.

The airport was evacuated, but later resumed normal operations.

Officials said Greenwood was naked on a baggage carousel and trying to make his way onto the tarmac.

After being transferred to Halifax Health, Greenwood told deputies he had ingested drugs, including ecstasy. "I planted a bomb in the bathroom", Chitwood said.

After searching the restrooms, a deputy found something hidden in some drywall in a bathroom under construction, the sheriff said.

A bomb-detecting robot was used to scan the area in the bathroom where Greenwood had placed his backpack.

"This is all federal, what he did here", Chitwood said, adding that he believed the FBI would be investigating.

As News4Jax reported, records show that Greenwood is awaiting trial stemming from a 2017 arrest for battery on a first responder.

Like this: