Published: Wed, May 16, 2018
Finance | By Loren Pratt

Over 8000 affected by Sri Lanka flash floods

Over 8000 affected by Sri Lanka flash floods

They had travelled to Sri Lanka to tour with one of Durham City Rugby Football Club's teams called the Clems Pirates.

Baty was transferred to the private Nawaloka hospital where he too died on Tuesday afternoon despite intensive care, officials said.

Rugby teams across the world have been paying tribute to a North East player who died on a tour in Sri Lanka.

Thomas Howard, 25, and Thomas Baty, 26, both suffered breathing difficulties after returning from a nightclub in Colombo on Sunday.

A club statement said: "It is with great sadness that the Club can now confirm that Tom Baty has died following his admission to hospital on Sunday".

The pair were admitted to hospital after struggling to breath during a tour of Sri Lanka.

The group are said to have gone out for dinner before heading to a nightclub in the Kollupitiya area of the city.

Several people were evacuated from their homes due to the heavy downpour on Sunday but as the rains ceased by Monday morning, the situation was normalising, Disaster Management Centre's spokesperson Pradeep Kodippilli was quoted as saying by Xinhua news agency.

British media were giving the story heavy coverage, with The Times reporting on Tuesday that "local police said that they were investigating links to "narcotics and liquor".

A Foreign Office spokeswoman confirmed that they were dealing with the incident and said: "Our staff are supporting the family of a British man following his death in Sri Lanka, and are in contact with the Sri Lankan hospital services".

"The club requests that the Howard and Baty families' right to privacy is respected and upheld at this most hard time".

Initial investigations showed the two victims from the Durham City Rugby Football Club, along with their team mates, had played a friendly with the Ceylonese Rugby and Football Club on Saturday.

Like this: