Published: Sun, May 13, 2018
IT | By Lester Massey

Suspect arrested in 1986 murder of teen

Suspect arrested in 1986 murder of teen

The suspect in a Tacoma, Washington cold case who was arrested in central IL on Thursday, voluntarily gave his DNA to the Federal Bureau of Investigation a year ago.

Washburn appeared in Woodford County Circuit Court Friday morning and waived extradition to the state of Washington where an arrest warrant for murder in the first-degree had been issued earlier this week.

Tacoma Police are in the process of extraditing him back to Washington.

Authorities said they detained Robert Washburn, " 60, at his home in Eureka, Illinois, on Thursday, a week as soon as they acquired consequences of the DNA test linking him into the passing of 13-year-old Jennifer Bastian. Her body was found August 28 in a wooded area near where witnesses had spotted her.

Tacoma police didn't provide much information about the suspect.

Bastian disappeared whilst riding her motorcycle from Tacoma's Point Defiance Park on the summer evening, along with also her figure has been found in a wooded area off a trail more than two weeks later, on August 28, 1986. Washburn lived less than five miles from the park where Jennifer went missing at the time.

A man arrested in the 1986 killing of a Tacoma girl came to the attention of police because before she even disappeared, he called them purportedly to give a tip about a different, similar slaying, investigators said in charging documents. Two people possibly spoke with her as late as 5 the Dalco Passage viewpoint off Five Mile Drive.

Point Defiance closed for two days while searchers looked for Jennifer, whose remains were recovered three weeks later after a jogger noticed an odd smell.

Perera went to school with Jennifer Bastian. She'd been strangled to death.

Troopers worked with detectives to identify and arrest 60-year-old Robert Washburn, who is believed to be connected to the death of Jennifer Bastian in 1986. DNA testing in recent years determined that the deaths were unrelated.

In December of that year, detectives interviewed Washburn at his Tacoma apartment. Check back with CrimeOnline as additional details become available.

Like this: