Published: Wed, June 13, 2018
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

Missing Air Force officer found 35 years later

Missing Air Force officer found 35 years later

In the days and weeks after he failed to report for duty in Kirtland, investigators found his auto at the Albuquerque International Airport. In his home, the investigators found lists of plans and books he wanted to read, the article states.

Instead, investigators said Capt. Hughes went to 19 Albuquerque bank branches and withdrew a total of $28,500 from his account.

Then his picture appeared on the news and TV satellite trucks showed up Monday on their quiet, tree-lined street in Daly City, just south of San Francisco, and it became clear their neighbor was not who they had thought.

His family at one point theorised he had been abducted.

Of course, conspiracy theories cropped up.

" 'We do not feel he disappeared voluntarily, ' his sister, Christine Hughes, said in the article".

It is unknown whether family had been in contact with Hughes or knew of his whereabouts following his 1983 disappearance.

Capt Hughes was living under the name Barry O'Beirne, but investigators unravelled his story after spotting inconsistencies and he later admitted his real identity.

Last Wednesday, Hughes was captured during a passport fraud investigation.

He claimed he had been depressed about being in the air force so left and created a false identity.

Dayao said the woman was already living in the house when Hughes moved in several years ago. Hughes's disappearance, in the eyes of some, fit right into the puzzle. Nevertheless speculation persisted that Hughes may have been abducted by or defected to the Soviets.

"He is worth his weight in gold to the Russians in terms of future 'Star Wars, ' if we have them", Szulc quotes an unidentified intelligence officer as telling him.

The Albuquerque Journal reported that in 1984, the Pentagon had said that though he had top secret clearance, he did not have clearance that could "compromise national security". Although Hughes had access to "U.S".

An Air Force spokeswoman told the Albuquerque Journal that there's no indication Hughes was involved with the Soviet Union or that any classified information was leaked.

"That's him but he always had his Giants hat on", she said.

Interviews with Hughes' friends and associates and inquiries with law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and overseas failed to locate him, the statement said, and he was formally declared a deserter on December 9, 1983. He was apprehended June 6 by Air Force Office of Special Investigations Special Agents from Detachment 303, Travis Air Force Base, Calif., where he's awaiting pre-trial confinement.

United States deserters can face a number of charges once they are found, including prison time, being dishonourably discharged and losing pay.

Like this: