Published: Tue, July 31, 2018
Medicine | By Brett Sutton

"Hot Water Challenge" leaves teenager severely burned


A fifteen-year-old in Indianapolis, Indiana, suffered painful injuries after his alleged friend poured scalding hot water on him while he slept as a part of the "hot water challenge".

"It was hot, real hot", he said.

Last week, Kyland Clark says he and a friend were looking up the challenge on YouTube when they made a decision to prank each other.

Last summer, an 11-year-old girl in NY suffered face and chest burns after friends poured hot water on her.

"When I came to my senses, the water got hot and I just got up and ripped my shirt off".

A 15-year-old boy in Little Rock, Arkansas, was at a sleepover with his high school friends last August when he woke up to the "worst pain" of his life, KTHV reported.

"And then, I looked down at my chest, and my skin just fell off my chest".


The social media challenge left the teen with second-degree burns to the face, and on his chest and back. Kyland has been in the hospital for a week receiving treatment for his injuries. One of the boys at the sleepover heated up water in the microwave and poured it on Nickolas Conrad's neck, his mother told KARK.

"To see my baby, all burned up like that, it was heartbreaking", said Andrea, the teen's mother.

"It's suggesting to people that they can try it and they won't be hurt, but they will be. I can guarantee it", Dr. Ed Bartkus said.

Captivating the imaginations of teens is a new social media challenge known as the hot water challenge which has left one 15 year old IN boy seriously burned.

The "challenge" calls for boiling water to be poured on a friend who typically doesn't see it coming (some people participate willingly), or drinking boiling water from a straw.

"If your friends are telling you to do this, they are not good friends", Bartkus said. He took the opportunity to warn teens about taking part in risky Internet challenges such as the "Hot Water Challenge".

"There's a limit to what you should do in a challenge and what you shouldn't do". Don't take it overboard, ' Kyland told WLTW. "Don't just let it go by and just give them your phone and let them be".

Like this: