Published: Thu, August 09, 2018
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

Dozens dead after school bus carrying children hit by airstrike

Dozens dead after school bus carrying children hit by airstrike

UNICEF said in a statement that "many children were reportedly killed and injured" in the attack and that all of the children were reportedly under the age of 15. "Does the world really need more innocent children's lives to stop the cruel war on children in Yemen?". The bus was ferrying local civilians, including many school children, they said, speaking on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals.

ICRC said one of the hospitals it supports was treating the wounded. The rebels control much of northern Yemen, including the capital, Sanaa.

In July, a Badr 1 missile was sacked at Jizan Economic City, where Saudi Aramco is building a 400,000-barrel-per-day refinery.

Saudi Arabia backs Yemen's internationally recognized government and has been at war with the Houthis since March 2015.

The alleged attack left one Yemeni resident dead and 11 civilians wounded, said Maliki.

The rebel-run Al Masirah TV gave a different casualty toll, saying the attack killed 39 people and wounded 51, mainly children.

The official spokesman of the Arab Coalition in Yemen, Colonel Turki al-Maiki, announced on Thursday that the coalition launched an operation in Saada against Houthi elements who fired a ballistic missile on Jizan in Saudi Arabia on Wednesday evening.

"Today's attack in Saada was a legitimate military operation. and was carried out in accordance with global humanitarian law", the coalition said in the Arabic-language statement carried by SPA.

Later on Thursday, airstrikes hit the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, and sounds of the blasts reverberated across the city's southern and western neighborhoods. Its last air strike in Yemen was July 24 against Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, she said, adding that the command seeks to help partners mitigate civilian casualties.


The Saudi-led military campaign was launched in support of Yemen's former Riyadh-friendly government and against its popular Houthi movement.

Yemen's stalemated, three-year war has killed over 10,000 people, badly damaged Yemen's infrastructure and crippled its health system. That assistance has come under sharp criticism from Congress and the worldwide community as civilian deaths have continued to multiply, even as the coalition promises not to target civilians.

A USA military spokeswoman said: "U.S".

But the coalition denied carrying out any attacks in the city, saying it follows a 'strict and transparent approach based on the rules worldwide law'.

So far, almost 10,000 people have died in the war in Yemen, which has unleashed what the United Nations describes as the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

The fight for the port of Hodeida, a key lifeline for supplies and aid for Yemen's population on the brink of starvation, has become the latest battleground in the devastating war.

The Houthis have fired dozens of missiles into the kingdom in recent months, part of a three-year-old conflict widely seen as a proxy battle between regional rivals Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Earlier this week, the UN Special Envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, convened a consultative meeting in the United Kingdom of 22 Yemeni public figures and women activists as part of his efforts to end the war.

Like this: