Published: Fri, November 09, 2018
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

Auto 'explodes', man shot by police in Melbourne

Auto 'explodes', man shot by police in Melbourne

Australian police shot a knife-wielding man who is believed to have stabbed three people in Melbourne's city-center Friday, killing one of them.

Addressing the media, Superintendent David Clayton said that the man who attacked the people was shot in the chest and he is now critically injured.

"Police shot the male in the chest and he is now in a critical condition under guard in hospital", Superintendent David Clayton told media.

The man and one victim died at hospital, while two others were treated for injuries, according to the police.

Video from the scene showed a man swinging a knife at two police officers near a burning auto before he was shot.

Police said the attacker's vehicle contained several barbecue gas cylinders in the back. The militant group said in a statement released through its Aamaq media arm that the man was "one of Islamic State fighters" and carried out the attack in response to IS calls for attacks in countries that are part of the global coalition fighting the militants in Syria and Iraq.

Police shot the man in the chest after he charged at them with the knife.

In separate footage, the man can be seen circling a bin with three officers, repeatedly lunging at them and running after them.

Counter-terror officers have swooped on the scene.

Officers were forced to open fire on the attacker, who now remains in a critical condition under police guard in hospital, on Friday afternoon.

Two members of the public came to the aid of police, one using a shopping trolley and another using a chair to try and stop the attacker.

"There is no known link to terrorism at this stage", Clayton said.

Ashton said the police initially responded to calls about a four-wheel-drive utility vehicle on fire in the busy Bourke Street Mall shopping district at about 4:10 p.m. local time.

Sky News Australia's Patrick Murrell said police had tried to "talk [the suspect] down and tried to use the Taser" before shooting him.

Appearing with police, Premier Daniel Andrews said "this is an evil, terrifying thing that's happened in our city and state today".

"I kept watching", said witness Tony Nguyen, after what he described as a "car bomb".

Police have asked members of the public to send images and video of the incident in order to help with their investigation.

Like this: