Published: Mon, November 05, 2018
Entertaiment | By Paul Elliott

NBC, Fox News Pulling Trump's Anti-Caravan Ad

NBC, Fox News Pulling Trump's Anti-Caravan Ad

The 30-second ad used the story of Luis Bracamontes, an undocumented Mexican immigrant convicted of murdering two Sacramento, California, police officers in 2014, to stoke fears about what the migrant caravan could bring to America.

Less than a week after ABC aired a misleading, pro-GOP political ad during The Conners, NBC ran a Trump-approved commercial about immigration during Sunday Night Football that has drawn much criticism for its racist message.

Although Fox will not show the ad going forward, the network did air the ad over the weekend before deciding to pull the plug on Monday.

Fox News, meanwhile, chose to pull the ad on Sunday and said as much the following day.

The ad is Trump's latest effort to rouse fear about the migrant caravan in the days ahead of the midterm elections. Fox did not immediately say how many times it aired on Fox News Channel or the Fox Business Network. Bacamontes was deported and then snuck back into the United States during the George W. Bush administration, yet the ad clearly states that "Democrats let him stay".


"After further review we recognize the insensitive nature of the ad and have made a decision to cease airing it across our properties as soon as possible", a spokesman for NBC said in a statement. "While the video is allowed to be posted on Facebook, it can not receive paid distribution", a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement.

But the video remains posted, for example, on a Facebook page for the campaign manager for Trump's 2020 reelection campaign and has since been shared on Trump's official Facebook page. He said the media was trying to control what you see and think. Parscale made no mention of Fox's decision.

CNN went so far as to declare "this ad is racist", adding they "declined" to run it when the Trump campaign "presented [them] with an opportunity to be paid to take a version of this ad".

On Saturday, Donald Trump Jr. complained on Twitter that CNN "refused to run" the advertisement.

Like this: