Published: Fri, November 09, 2018
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

One dead, two hurt in Melbourne stabbing rampage

One dead, two hurt in Melbourne stabbing rampage

A knife-wielding attacker killed one person and injured two others in a rush hour stabbing rampage in downtown Melbourne on Friday before he was shot and captured by police.

Officers were confronted by a man "brandishing a knife and threatening them", while passers-by alerted police that people had been stabbed, Victoria state police Superintendent David Clayton, said.

Three people were stabbed in the incident and police confirmed one of the victims died at the scene, while another two were rushed to hospital.

"Incredible work by police in Melbourne but also bystanders - one using a trolley to try subdue the man", Cyndi Lavrencic said.

Witnesses say they saw the man drive a truck into the Target centre and as the auto caught fire he tried to fight and stab police and bystanders.

"A man was arrested at the scene and has been taken to hospital under police guard in a critical condition", the statement said.

Multiple videos posted to social media showed a man carrying a knife and running at police, who had batons, guns and tasers drawn.

Another witness on a passing tram told ABC Radio it seemed police had been trying to subdue a man who was waving something.

A Somali man went on a stabbing rampage in the city of Melbourne on Friday after driving a vehicle laden with gas cylinders up on a footpath, where it caught fire, and police said they are treating the attack as terrorism.

The area is cordoned off and people are asked to avoid the area.

Just after 5.20pm (local time), a body was seen lying under a white sheet on Bourke Street, near the entrance to Russell Place.

As a truck blazed in the background, a man flailed a long knife at police officers, who backpedalled desperately.

Clayton said police had arrived at Bourke Street, a busy shopping thoroughfare, in response to a vehicle fire.

Witnesses have described hearing a loud bang during the incident.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said the attack was "an evil, terrifying thing that's happened in our city".

"Today, more than ever, we offer our thanks to Police and first responders for the unbelievable work they do for all of us".

Like this: