Published: Wed, February 13, 2019
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

Police officer gunned down in Queens

Police officer gunned down in Queens

A police department Twitter account identified the detective as Brian Simonsen.

"It was like 10 or 12 consecutive sounds, you know, pop, pop, pop, pop, and immediately after that we could hear the sirens going off", Richmond Hill resident Manny Singh said. His wounds are not believed to be life threatening.

An NYPD detective was fatally shot and a sergeant was injured while responding to reports of an armed robbery in Queens Tuesday night. Ransom was taken to the hospital where he will later be released into police custody.

"Shots fired! Shots fired!" an officer is heard yelling. Simonsen, a 19-year NYPD veteran, was put in a squad auto and taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Mayor Bill de Blasio and several other city officials are at Jamaica Hospital Trauma Center.

The suspect advanced toward them and the officers fired, Commissioner O'Neill said. Det.

The shooting started about two minutes after the officers were directed to go to the store, according to dramatic dispatch audio.

A witness told the NYDN that before police arrived, one of the robbers, dressed in black, could be seen escorting two employees to the back of a T-Mobile store at gunpoint.

The gunfire blew out the store's doors, showering the sidewalk with glass.

About a minute later, Gorman tells dispatchers that he's been hit and an officer screams for dispatchers to rush an ambulance to the scene. Some walked together in a line, searching for evidence.

New York Sen. Chuck Schumer tweeted his condolences not long after the shooting.

The sergeant, who has been with the NYPD for eight and a half years, was shot in the leg. "May God bless them and their families".

"It's a very hard, painful night for our city".

"It was heartbreaking, absolutely heartbreaking", De Blasio said.

Simonsen's death marks the NYPD's first line-of-duty fatality since 2017.

Officer Miosotis Familia, 48, was writing in her notebook when ex-convict Alexander Bonds strode up and shot her through a window. The officer had planned to retire soon.

Simonsen (left) and squad Sergeant Matthew Gorman (right) were reportedly struck by friendly fire as they emerged from the T-Mobile store following a confrontation with an armed suspect inside.

Like this: