Published: Fri, March 15, 2019
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

China offers help to Venezuela to restore power

China offers help to Venezuela to restore power

Earlier Thursday morning, a convoy was seen leaving the U.S. Embassy in Caracas.

James Story, who was the top-ranking US diplomat in Venezuela, said in a video message that most Venezuelans don't support Maduro and that the government had used "the threat of armed gangs" against its people.

Despite the personnel evacuation, Pompeo said the Trump administration maintains its support of opposition leader Juan Guaidó and his effort to oust authoritarian President Nicolás Maduro, whom the U.S.no longer recognizes as the country's rightful leader.

China offered today to help Venezuela restore its power grid, after President Nicolas Maduro accused US counterpart Donald Trump of cyber "sabotage" that plunged the South American country into its worst blackout on record.

While the power outage in the country which holds the world's largest oil reserves has shut down oil production and processing operations as well as the main oil export terminal, the blackout has caused massive shortages of running water.

Ordinary people in Venezuela are bearing the brunt of the ongoing power struggle in the country and last week's blackout. The government says the national power grid is functioning well and that running water has returned to most of the country, though some areas reported continuing problems. Information Minister Jorge Rodriguez said schools will re-open on Monday.

The country began returning to normal on Thursday following a near-total weeklong blackout that the government has blamed on what it calls sabotage encouraged by the US.

He gave no details
He gave no details

The U.S. official spoke on condition of anonymity Thursday because of the sensitivity of the matter.

Pompeo tweeted earlier this week that the diplomats would be withdrawn because they had become a "constraint" on USA policy.

The OPEC nation suffered its worst blackout in history last week following technical problems that the government of President Nicolas Maduro called an act of USA -backed sabotage but critics dismissed as the result of incompetence.

China on Wednesday offered to help Venezuela as it faces a crippling multi-day power blackout that President Nicolas Maduro has blamed on the United States.

The Venezuelan National Assembly, dominated by the opposition, has declared a state of alarm over the blackout that the Maduro government blamed on a USA cyber-attack and that plunged the struggling country into darkness and chaos for five days.

The US has already imposed sanctions created to choke off Venezuelan oil sales, the lifeblood of the leftist government in Caracas.

At a press conference on Thursday afternoon, State Department spokesman Robert Palladino revealed the government has revoked hundred of visas from "Maduro-aligned" Venezuelans over the last four days.


Like this: