Published: Tue, March 05, 2019
Sport | By Wilson Duncan

Tiger Woods withdraws from Arnold Palmer Invitational due to neck injury

Tiger Woods withdraws from Arnold Palmer Invitational due to neck injury

Tiger Woods is withdrawing from the Arnold Palmer Invitational due to a neck injury, delivering a big blow to the Orlando tournament that surged in popularity when he played past year.

The Arnold Palmer Invitational starts Thursday at Bay Hill Golf Course in Bay Hill, Fla. Woods finished tied for second at the Valspar previous year, and it seems as if he would come back if he could.

Following his tie for 10 place last month at the WGC-Mexico Championship, Woods said he planned to "do a little bit of practicing", and "a lot of training and try and be ready for the next couple weeks".

The 43-year-old, eight-times victor of the tournament at Bay Hill in Orlando, announced on Twitter that he had been struggling with the problem for some time.

Woods has a record eight wins at Bay Hill.

"We know Tiger would be here if he could and we look forward to having him return in the future", Arnold Palmer Invitational Tournament Director Marci Doyle said.


He hopes to play in next week's Players' Championship at Sawgrass.

Woods has played well tee-to-green this year but has been held back by some of the worst putting of his career.

This withdrawal is unexpected and the first injury blip we've seen from Woods since he returned to regularly playing the PGA Tour at the beginning of 2018. It remains to be seen if he will play the Valspar Championship, where he finished T-2 past year, and the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play before the Masters.

Woods, 43, has had a long history of injuries, most recently coming back from a spinal fusion in his lower back.

The Players Championship begins on March 14, and the golf world is back in the familiar position of waiting and wondering whether Woods will make it.

Like this: