Published: Tue, May 14, 2019
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

Sudan charges al-Bashir with killing protesters

Sudan charges al-Bashir with killing protesters

Reporting from Khartoum, FRANCE 24's Nadia Massih said that the aim of the announcement is most likely to quell some of the public anger against the former leader.

The opposition Central Committee of Sudan Doctors, said at least six people were shot dead in Sudan Monday, though the group did not specify whether all of them were killed in Khartoum or under what circumstances. It was not immediately clear what punishment he might face.

Protest organisers say security forces killed around 100 demonstrators during the four months of rallies leading to Bashir's overthrow.

The official death toll is 65.

Since 6 April, thousands of protesters have been holding a continuous sit-in in front of the headquarters of the General Command of the Sudanese Armed Forces in Khartoum to pressure the Transitional Military Council to hand over power to civilians.

Protest leaders resumed talks with Sudan's military rulers on Tuesday seeking to build on a political breakthrough overshadowed by deadly shootings at a long-running protest sit-in outside army headquarters.

The U.S. Embassy in Sudan, however, blamed the generals for the violence, saying it was "clearly the result of the Transitional Military Council trying to impose its will on the protesters by attempting to remove roadblocks".

The transitional military council now ruling the country has said Bashir will face justice in Sudan and will not be extradited to The Hague, where the International Criminal Court has charged him with war crimes and genocide linked to the Darfur conflict in the early 2000s.


But the opposition, led by the Freedom and Change alliance, has continued to demand that the MTC hand over power - at the earliest possible date - to a civilian authority.

"At today's meeting, we agreed on the structure of the authorities and their powers", Taha Osman, a spokesman for the protest movement, said.

"This statement was not accurate", military council spokesman Lieutenant General Shamseddine Kabbashi told reporters early on Tuesday.

"Tomorrow we will continue to discuss the percentage of participation. and the transitional period", he said.

The protesters have called for a four-year transition overseen by a civilian-led government, while the military council has said it would rule the country for up to two years until elections can be held.

The two sides have for weeks been engaged in on-off negotiations over the structure and powers grated to the temporary government.

But in the month since then, the protests had previously focused nearly entirely on the sit-in outside army headquarters as protest leaders wrestled with the generals who toppled Bashir over a roadmap for a civilian-led transition.

Like this: