Published: Wed, June 12, 2019
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

David Ortiz's Wife Finally Breaks Her Silence

David Ortiz's Wife Finally Breaks Her Silence

After being shot at a lounge in his native Dominican Republic on Sunday night, retired Red Sox legend David Ortiz is stable after undergoing a second surgery, this one at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. Police have said the shooting was not a robbery. He arrived late Monday night, then underwent exploratory surgery at Mass.

"We are lucky to have incredible journalists that we have collaborated with for many, many years in the Dominican Republic, in particular Dionisio Soldevila [a sports editor with Periodico Hoy, a newspaper in the Dominican Republic] and Ortiz's friend and business assistant, Leo López".

Red Sox president Sam Kennedy said at a press conference in Boston on Monday afternoon that doctors "have confirmed that David's condition is still serious" but that he had been stabilized enough to be flown to a Boston hospital for further treatment. His postseason heroics helped Boston capture its first World Series title in 86 years in 2004, when he was the Most Valuable Player of the American League Championship Series as the Red Sox overcame a 3-0 series deficit to the New York Yankees in seven games.

Police say Ortiz was shot in the back.

According to authorities, Ortiz was ambushed by man who got off a motorcycle and shot him in the back at a nightclub in Santo Domingo.

Two others also were wounded in the attack.


"He is stable, awake, and resting comfortably this morning in the ICU where he is expected to remain for the next several days", Ortiz's wife, Tiffany Ortiz, said in a statement. "A lot of times I see guys who play on my team coming to the United States to live".

The second surgery lasted until about 1 a.m. ET on Tuesday, Lopez said, without specifying any details.

"I just can't take it", Martinez added.

Former Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek becomes emotional talking about David Ortiz and is very complimentary of his former teammate.

Jon Lester, another former Red Sox pitcher, wrote that he was in "utter shock" at the shooting. "We ask for privacy as David works towards recovery". "Get well soon, Papi".

Ortiz galvanized the city after the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing that left three people dead, bellowing through a megaphone at Fenway Park: "This is our (expletive) city!" Fans responded to the shooting with an outpouring of prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery.

Like this: