Published: Mon, June 17, 2019
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

Sudan's Bashir to appear in court on corruption charge

Sudan's Bashir to appear in court on corruption charge

The military overthrew and detained Bashir on April 11 after 16 weeks of street protests against his 30-year rule.

But he warned of negative scenarios as both the military council and protest leaders "absolutely distrust each other". The protestors called for acts of "civil disobedience" after a brutal June 3 military crackdown on people protesting in the country's capital of Khartoum.

He said the probe partly related to millions of dollars worth of cash in U.S. dollars, euros and Sudanese pounds that were found in al-Bashir's home a week after his ouster.

Al-Bashir is also wanted by the International Criminal Court over charges of war crimes and genocide linked to the Darfur conflict in the 2000s, but the military has said it would not extradite him to The Hague.

In the wake of the sit-in dispersal, negotiations between the military and protesters were called off and the Forces for the Declaration of Freedom and Change, which represents the protesters, held a three-day general strike and a campaign of civil disobedience.

In May, the prosecutor general said that Bashir had been charged over the killings of protesters during those anti-regime demonstrations, which eventually led to his ouster.

RSF commander General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo defended his force at a rally Saturday in a village on the outskirts of Khartoum.

This would suggest a reversal to previous deals between the military and protest leaders, which included a three-year transition period, a Cabinet appointed by the protester leaders, and a legislative body with a civilian majority.


"We are working hard to take those who did this to the gallows", Hemeti said in a televised speech, according to the AFP news agency.

According to a committee of doctors close to the protest, some 120 people have been killed in the crackdown since June 3, a lot of them in the dispersal of the sit-in.

Nagy said the US has been supporting mediation efforts by the African Union and Ethiopia's Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed to resume negotiations between the military council and protesters.

In order to curb the ongoing protests, over 100 people were killed when the security forces dispersed the protest sit in on June 3 and around 700 wounded.

Shamseddine Kabbashi, the spokesman for the Transitional Military Council, on Wednesday, June 12, told journalists the internet was posing a threat to national security would be shut down completely.

On Sunday, Arab League chief Ahmed Aboul Gheit in a visit to Khartoum also urged for a full investigation into the assault.

Nagy said the head of the military council, Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, "was adamant that there will be accountability" and that "we certainly hope that there will be such an investigation".

Like this: