Published: Thu, June 13, 2019
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

TBI Agents Investigating Officer-Involved Shooting in Memphis

TBI Agents Investigating Officer-Involved Shooting in Memphis

The violent clashes broke out after Brandon Webber was shot and killed by officers on Wednesday as they tried to arrest him for outstanding felony warrants outside his home in Frayser in North Memphis.

According to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, agents attempted to arrest the suspect -who reportedly had multiple felony warrants-- but the man entered a auto and began ramming police vehicles indiscriminately before exiting with a weapon.

"I was in Frayser tonight because Brandon Webber was shot 16-20 times in his family's front yard on the same day as the Pulse nightclub shooting anniversary", Sawyer says in a tweet, "and on the same day that the DA chose not to charge another police officer for murdering a civilian".

"This is my district".

"I'm impressed by their professionalism and incredible restraint as they endured concrete rocks being thrown at them and people spitting at them", he said in a Facebook post. Marshals saw the man get into a vehicle and then proceed to ram task force vehicles several times before exiting with a weapon, McAlister said.

The turmoil came after United States marshals shot and killed a man Wednesday night in the north Memphis neighborhood of Frayser, officials said. At least 25 officers and deputies suffered minor injuries, including six who had to be taken to the hospital, according to Memphis Police Director Michael Rallings.

Memphis police officers were called in to help with crowd control as word of the shooting spread on social media.

CBS Memphis affiliate WREG-TV described the scene as "chaos." City residents staged a massive protest resulting in several officers being injured.

The officers were attempting to stop the man, who was wanted on multiple warrants, as he was getting into his vehicle. Yolanda Holmes, his aunt, told the Daily Memphian that the family was trying to confirm what exactly happened.

"I was proud of our first responders", Strickland said in a statement. As more protesters arrived, more police appeared, ultimately leading to confrontation. "While police have been supportive of past protests", Rallings added, "we will not allow any acts of violence".

"A concrete wall outside a business was torn down". Police cars and a nearby fire station were damaged, Rallings said.

She said she anxious about her son's safety every day in Memphis which struggles with crime and gang activity.

"I just want him to see this, know what's going on, to be conscious", she said from the driver's seat of her auto, with her son in the passenger seat.

Like this: