Published: Wed, August 14, 2019
Worldwide | By Isabel Fisher

Can Algae Poison a Dog?

Can Algae Poison a Dog?

A North Carolina woman is urging pet owners to use caution while visiting neighborhood ponds after her three dogs suddenly died following an apparent run-in with toxic blue-green algae. About 30 minutes after leaving the lake, Arya started making "weird" noises and vomiting in the vehicle, pet parent Morgan Fleming wrote on Facebook, as per 11Alive.

Business owner Wendy Reavis, who used Harpo as a therapy dog, wept as she wrote about the canine's death Sunday night.

If you've been on Facebook, you may have seen the blue-green algae scare for dogs, especially in the southern states lately where it has cause multiple dog deaths.

The owners say they had no clue toxins from the algae could stop a dog's liver from functioning.

Can I be harmed by the algae? We need your prayers.

The Corps says algae blooms are unpredictable and can develop rapidly.

It's better to keep your dogs away from ponds that look odd in colour or are murky, as well as those that smell bad.

Toxic algae can also grow in decorative ponds as well as backyard pools, providing homeowners with a good reason to properly sanitize swimming water.

"There are only a handful of public health agencies that have the capacity to do testing for blue-green algae", said LaLiberte. They've set up a fundraiser to purchase signs and erect them in front of contaminated water to prevent further pet deaths. A number of dogs, however, have died recently after becoming exposed to toxic algae, highlighting the deadly threat posed by microscopic bacteria lurking in these waters. She says they died just a few hours later.

The campaign's goal was to raise $2,000, however it has already raised more than $3,000.

Officials in New Jersey have been warning people to heed caution with water that is contaminated.

They told CNN they thought the cyanobacteria they saw in the pond was flower blooms.

Symptoms, which usually arise anywhere from 15 minutes to several days after exposure, include diarrhea or vomiting, weakness or staggering, drooling, difficulty breathing and convulsions or seizures, the EPA reports.

The algae blooms are most likely to occur during periods of hot, humid weather. Although no human deaths caused by cyanobacteria have been reported in the USA, many dogs have died after swimming in infected waters.

Like this: